Loading

Project Vintage Recipes May recipe- Baked Stuffed Tomatoes

For those of you that are new to my blog, I feature a recipe (once a month) from my great grandmother's cookbook published in 1892.  There are so many amazing, unique, delicious, intriguing and downright bizarre recipes in this vintage treasure.  I am having fun experimenting with these old keepsakes.  The pick for this month is a perfect light, summer meal.  Also, a great way to use those ripe, garden tomatoes. I served the baked tomatoes with short grain brown rice.  Enjoy~

Baked Stuffed Tomatoes (circa 1892)



Ingredients:
6 large, smooth tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped, deli ham (I used Boar's Head low-sodium ham.  The original recipe called for a boiled ham)
12 small-medium mushrooms, finely chopped
2 tbsp bread crumbs (I used whole wheat panko bread crumbs), plus more for sprinkling on top
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
a dash cayenne pepper
2 tbsp melted butter (I used smart balance butter blend)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut a slice off the top of the tomatoes and scoop out the the seeds. 



Mix together ham, mushrooms, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon melted butter.



Fill tomatoes with this mixture, heaping it in the center. Sprinkle a little bread crumbs on top of each one and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of butter. 


Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes and broil for three more minutes, watching carefully to not burn.  Serve immediately. 

 
*I use Ian's panko whole wheat bread crumbs. 



 
Follow RecipesDream