Loading

Previews and Excuses for Blog Negligence

So as proof that I and thus Cindalou's is still alive and well, I am sending out a hollar (and various excuses for my blog neglect).  Gardening and a new flock of chickens has sort of taken over my life... that's what I get for a spring planting craze beginning in February with my indoor greenhouse for seedlings.

 
We also recently acquired 23 chick hatchlings which I raised from 5 days old.  Let me tell you when it is 90-100 degrees outside and I have 23 baby chicks inside in my pantry/laundry room with a space heater at 98 degrees you never get a break (from the heat or the cat-policing to protect the babies from our 3 cat's famous "cat curiosity").  

5 day old Americana chick(L) and more chicks on top of my dryer, aww!

Fast forward to now about a month later the flock is outside.  Now I watch and police our two new outdoor cats when they're around the chicks.  The two new cats came in the midst of chickens and planting, by the way (as mole control).

A month later... their size shows where all that chick feed went!


Guess I never learned my lesson since we are getting 6 more hens tomorrow! The yard alone could monopolize my life- I can't get bored here, that's for sure.  Don't fret though, Cindalou's is still cooking, fermenting, and raising general culinary havoc.  As proof I present pictures of my fermenting the spring's bounty of hearty greens and brassicas.  For those like it hot I'll be posting my three variations on traditional kimchi.  
Jars of pipin' hot "kim chi" goodness, yum!
 I'll also follow up with my tweaked red cabbage kraut based on my mother in law, "Ima's," famous munchie.  
Counter o' red cabbage and traditional sauerkraut variations.

  Of course there will be plenty of health ranting and trivia about glutamine and cabbages, thyroids and unfermented brassicas (why I ferment 'em), and the highlights of the hearty greens.   I know it is late for the heart greens as far as seasonality.  Hey you have other blogs with attentive bloggers who are on the ball with cherry and blackberry recipes.  

Trust me the kimchi is a fantastic salsa replacement for my eggs.  Eggs require salsa, by the way :)  Other than that picturesque proof of my blog laziness, I am sure I've been up to other things around here.  Who knows? One thing is for sure: nothing is safe from my reach ;)  So look for an upcoming series on fermented veggies and their "superfood" benefits!

Cindalou's Kitchen Blues: Healthy Celiac / Coeliac Gluten and Dairy Free Recipes
Follow RecipesDream