Loading

Paneer Frankie Recipe for Kids | Paneer Wraps with Step by Step Recipe

When I announced Sandwich Mela, I had tall plans of making many of my to do items. As much clichéd I sound to myself, time did fly away and I find myself not having blogged even one for the event myself. This Paneer Wraps was something I should have posted many weeks ago. It is making it's presence only now.

Few years ago, during one of our air travel, I got to eat something called Malabar Paneer Roll. It was a Kati roll, stuffed with paneer masala. It was delicious to say the least. Back home I tried to recreate the same but with Aloo, though the entire thing came out well, the outer layer was little uncooked at the ends. I had packed the Kati roll with Aloo subzi for Hubby dear for his travel. He said it was delicious but I could try cooking it little more at the places where I folded.

Later I wanted to know more about Kati Roll and Frankie, so a little study on this, I came to know there is still so much one has to learn! The delicious Kati Roll, a famous Calcutta street food, are layered parathas, stuffed with different stuffing. Traditionally these were stuffed with Kebabs. Now even if they have deferred from using Kebabs in between, these still go by the name as Kati Roll.

While Frankie is famous in Bombay and is talked much about by CurryFusion in this interesting article. Frankie is supposed to be a staple fast food in Mumbai. The Frankie is an Indian version of a wrap or Burrito. Reading on Kati Roll and Frankie, I can find lot of similarities between Kati Roll and Frankie, as even a Frankie is a roti dredged in beaten egg, and griddled, then piled with variety of filling options.

So going by the assumption of fast food, there really may not be an authentic recipe for the stuffing. you can just do it on the go. Recently we had a Food bloggers meet, where Priya made some Frankie for us. It was a wonderful meet, where we could all taste the fellow blogger's food. As I was busy grilling the pav for the bhaji I took for the meet, I didn't pay attention to the recipe she was sharing with the rest. But it surely reminded me that I ought to post my version of Frankie / Warps / Kati Roll as you might want to call it.

When I had a huge portion of paneer that needed to be used up, this is what I ended up doing.

Step by Step Recipe with pictures for making Paneer Wraps

For the Filling





 For making the outer layer



 To assemble the Frankie


Paneer Frankie | Paneer Wraps
Makes : 10 - 11 wraps

Ingredients Needed to prepare Frankie

For the outer layer:

Whole Wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Cold butter - 2 tbsp (appx, can be less if you want)
Salt to taste
Flour to dust

For the paneer stuffing:

Paneer - made from 1 & 1/2 liter milk.
Onions - 2 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp

Spice powders to be added:

Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Amchur / Dry Mango Powder - 1 /4 tsp
Kala Namak - a pinch (opt)
Salt to taste

To assemble the frankie
Table butter
Rotis/ Outer layer
Stuffing

How to make Paneer Frankie

For the outer layer:

In a wide bowl, take equal portion of wheat flour and all purpose flour, add salt and cut cold butter. Crumble the butter into the flour and continue doing it till it turns crumbly. Then slowly add water and knead to a soft dough. Cover and leave it aside for 10 - 30 mins.

Pinch out small lemon size balls and roll out as you would regular do rotis, dusting with maida.

Heat a tawa, cook on both sides without adding oil.

Continue doing till you are done with all the rotis.

For the Paneer stuffing


In a non stick pan, add oil and onion juliennes. Saute well till they turn brown. Then add ginger garlic pate. Saute well. 

then add tomatoes and continue cooking till the tomatoes done. Add all the spice powders, mix well. Simmer and cook for few minutes.

Add the cubes paneer pieces and combine everything well. The stuffing needs to be almost dry.

To assemble the Frankie

Take one roti, spread butter over it, spoon out the stuffing in the center. Then from one side, fold it over the stuffing and from the other side bring it forward. Close it tightly and cut in center for easy serving.


Cut and serve!

You can even wrap a tissue paper or aluminum foil to hold this in place.

Makes a great dish for carrying for light lunches or picnics. I sent this for Konda's lunch and she loved it so much.
Follow RecipesDream