Loading

Purple Cabbage Salad

Not only is this salad colorful and beautiful, it is so delicious!  I got this recipe from my friend and neighbor, Krista.  She invited me to attend a Christian Seder Supper during Passover at her church.  This salad was my favorite part of the meal.  I am a Catholic girl, but I enjoy learning about how other people celebrate their faith and the culinary traditions that go along with it.  I thought it would be a great learning experience for me to attend the Seder.  I had a great time and learned a lot about the traditions of Passover.  A few days after the luncheon, I asked Krista if she had the recipe for the yummy salad we ate.  She told me that it was from Susie Fishbein's Passover by Design cookbook.  So here is my new favorite purple salad recipe and I can eat it all year long!  Enjoy~

Purple Cabbage Salad



Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 16 oz shredded purple cabbage
  • 1/3 cup chopped scallions
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 3 carrots, julienned, or 1 8-oz bag shredded carrots
  • 1 11-oz can mandarin oranges (in juice-not syrup), reserving the juice
  • 1-2 handfuls dried cranberries
  • 4 Tbsp brown sugar (I use sucanat)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp reserved mandarin orange juice
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
  • 1 vegetable or chicken-flavor bouillon cube (or one small packet of liquid concentrate), or 1 tsp dried consomme powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Preparation:
Start with a small head of red cabbage.
Slicing tips: Remove the first couple outer layers of cabbage, wash and cut out the hard stem.  Slice in half and then in quarters.  Slice thin strips of cabbage and place into a large bowl.  Set aside.
Place the cabbage (16oz) , scallions, pine nuts, carrots, oranges, and cranberries into a large zip-lock bag (or bowl). Set aside.

In a jar or cruet, mix the brown sugar, pepper, salt, vinegar, reserved orange juice, oil, bouillon cube, and garlic powder. Close and shake until thoroughly mixed.  I like to use Mason jars (Eco-friendly and they look pretty cute, too).


Pour over the salad. Refrigerate to let the flavors mix for at least 1 hour. Can prepare early in the day.


Yield: 8-10 servings.
Follow RecipesDream