Loading

Crockpot Lasagna

My kids absolutely love lasagna, but usually only get it on Sundays when Daddy is in the mood to cook.  When I saw this recipe for lasagna in the slow cooker in my ward cookbook (from church) I got excited to try it out for a weeknight meal.  It's a similar process of making and putting together a traditional lasagna, but I liked being able to do it early in the day when life is far less crazy than during the after-school/dinner crunch time.   I also loved walking into my house after an afternoon of errands and being greeted by the tantalizing aroma of lasagna baking. 

My family was enamored with this low-fuss version of lasagna, especially my anti-cottage cheese son, and since the first time have requested me to make it for them multiple times.  Based on the three times I've made it, though,  I have a few words of advice to maximize yumminess and minimize any issues. 

#1--Choose a good Alfredo sauce--whether it be your own homemade version or one you've tried and liked.  (I found that I strongly prefer the Classico Garlic Alfredo sauce, over other brands and flavors)

#2--Don't let it cook longer than specified or it will start to burn around the edges. 

#3--Know what to expect.  While it still tasted delicious, it definitely didn't have quite the presentation WOW factor of an oven-baked lasagna.  Of course, my family certainly doesn't care about how it looks.   



Click here for printable recipe. 



The ingredients:


1-lb. lean ground beef ( I used ground turkey)
1 jar (26-28-ounces) spaghetti sauce
1 can (8-ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 package no-boil lasagna noodles
1 jar (16-ounces) favorite Alfredo sauce (or 2 cups)
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:  In a large skillet, brown ground beef (or ground turkey).  Drain.  Spray a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.  Spread 3/4 cup of the plain spaghetti sauce over the bottom of the slow cooker.  Stir in remaining spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce with the ground beef (or turkey). 

Layer three lasagna noodles over sauce in slow cooker.


NOTE:  It is a little hard making rectangle noodles fit nicely into an oval shaped slow cooker, so don't be afraid to break up the noodles as necessary to get them to fit.  They're getting covered anyway, so there's no need for them to look pretty. 

Top with 1/3 Alfredo sauce, spreading it evenly over the noodles. 

Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.  Top with 1/3 ground beef mixture, spreading evenly. 
Repeat layering twice, ending with the sauce/ground beef mixture on top.  Top with Parmesan cheese (and extra mozzarella, if desired).  Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours (you won't want to let it go any longer than this or it will burn).

Makes 6-8 servings.  Enjoy!

Follow RecipesDream