Loading

Maddur Vada | Maddur Vade ~ Tempting Snack from Karnataka

There are always certain dishes that evoke nostalgic memories that make you feel wonderful. Maddur Vada is one such dish for me. It's been so many years since I tasted this dish. Maddur Vada if you must know the history is sold in a place en route to Mysore from Bangalore. This tempting, delicious snack gets its name from the town Maddur where it got popular.

We used to visit Mysore almost once a year during summer vacation. And during the halt, getting a pack of this Vada was a must. What with Daddy's staff packing a huge parcel of this, we used to enjoy it on the way to Mysore. Those frequent visits were during my high school and Mysore was like a summer house for us. I remember writing about Uncle B and the wonderful memories that he created for us.

When I decided to make the Maddur Vada, I remembered Uncle B and missed him. He was such an awesome human being. I wish I could get in touch with his family but regret loosing contact with them.

As I made these vadas in a hurry, will surely be making them again to enjoy them in leisure. The ingredients are so commonly available, I really wonder at myself at how I missed making it all these years.

I adapted this from Lathamma's recipe and added ingredients roughly. Must be almost half of the quantity she mentioned.



 
Ingredients Needed:

Rice flour – 1/2 cup
Rava / Semolina – 1/2 cup
All purpose flour / Maida – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee 2 tsps
Hing – 1/4 tsps
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
Finely chopped Onion – 1/2 cup

Oil for frying

How to make Maddur Vada

Take all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix everything together and slowly add water to form a stiff dough

Heat oil in a kadai on a medium flame.

Pinch out equal balls from the dough and flatten them on your palm. The discs should be thin in size so that these turn out crispy.

Check the temperature of oil by dropping a small piece of dough into the oil. If it rises immediately the oil is ready for frying.

Fry the vadas in medium to low fire in batches. Drain them on a kitchen towel.



Notes
You can flatten all the vadas and keep them on a plate before you start frying.
These will make a great snacks to pack for trips as this is supposed to stay good for 3 days.
Follow RecipesDream