Loading

One plain, one fancy

Our lovely French houseguest has gone, leaving us with promises to meet again and the world's biggest pile of biscuits and chocolates. I get a shock every time I open the pantry.


Among the haul is a tin of assorted biscuits, similar to the Sampler tins we used to get at Christmas. We never had bought biscuits when I was a child and these were a special festive treat. But they came with rules: whenever the tin was opened I remember someone (Mum?) reciting the mantra: "one plain, one fancy". Shortbread, Dundee biscuits (the round ones with sugar crystals on top) and Krispies were most definitely in the 'plain' camp, while pink wafers, custard creams and anything chocolate were 'fancy'. I think this rule was invented to stop us eating all the good ones first - there was nothing more disappointing than prising open the lid to find there were only boring ones left.

I thought everyone's family obeyed these sorts of rules, then I met the Boy Wonder, whose family operate under the assumption that if you don't eat all the good ones first, someone else will beat you to it. It's just as well we don't have bought biscuits very often or there would be (even more) robust debate in our house.

Do you have 'rules' about biscuits? What do you judge as 'plain' and 'fancy'?
Follow RecipesDream