Loading

Panettone problems

There's probably a list somewhere of things you shouldn't attempt to do the weekend before you move house. Making panettone, the notoriously time-intensive Italian Christmas bread, is probably one of them, but I thought it would beat cleaning the oven(s) and making decisions about what to do with all those little things that pile up on the kitchen island while you're putting big things into boxes.

The main reason for this folly was that Sarah of Maison Cupcake chose panettone for the November Fresh From The Oven challenge and this weekend was my last chance to make it. I thought I devoted a reasonable amount of love and attention to the dough - I even nursed it on my lap to keep it warm while watching the last, tear-jerking episode of Downton Abbey - but I did neglect it a bit, shoving it in the fridge overnight because I was too tired to stay up and let it rise some more. Then I baked it in an angel food cake tin (I didn't have the right sort of 18cm high, round tin anyway - and I'd packed all the others.
While it looked good enough (untraditional shape aside), it was surprisingly dry and much heavier than I had hoped. I blame myself, not the recipe, but I don't think there's much point replicating it here until I can figure out what exactly went wrong. I'm also consoling myself that none of my Italian cookbooks had a recipe, which infers that all good Italians buy theirs instead. In the meantime, here's a well-researched recipe I wish I'd remembered bookmarking last year. It sounds both incredibly easy and delicious - and there's still lots of time before Christmas to get it right.

Have you made panettone before? Do you know any tricks?
Follow RecipesDream