Loading

Thenkuzhal Muruku 2 | Diwali Savory Snack | Step by Step Recipes

By now it must be obvious that I love murukkus. This is going to be the third recipe that I am sharing. I got this recipe from my neighbor, Konda's friend K's Mom. She makes this for Diwali every year and every year I ask her for the recipe and never get around to make it.

This year I made up my mind that I was going to make it and wrote down the recipe. Just the day before Deepavali, I told Amma that I wanted to make this version. As it happened I had noted down the recipe in my phone and looks like I missed out few things. So I had Amma talk to K's Mom and noted down the recipe.

One main thing I didn't tell Amma was that this recipe measures the whole rice, which then is powdered. Since we had rice flour on hand, we had to modify according to the recipe. After finally getting to the dough I realized how easy this muruku is to make.

Another factor that Amma told me was the fact that all Thenkuzhal murukus call for the rice flour to be roasted. We did that and the Murukkus came out awesome.
Best part about this recipe is that, there is no butter or ghee added.

Step By Step Recipe.




















Thenkuzhal Muruku 2

Ingredients Needed

Rice flour - 5 cups
Urad Dal -- 1 cup
Water - 3 - 4 cups
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Asafoetida a pinch
Oil for Deep frying


How to make Thenkuzhal Muruku

Wash and pressure cook the Urad dal with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles. Once the pressure falls, check if the urad dal is cooked to mushy. If not, add one more cup of water and cook again.

Heat a kadai, dry roast the rice flour till it's done. This can be checked by taking a pinch of roasted flour and doing a kolam or drawing a line on the flour. If it forms a uniform line, it means the the flour is roasted well.

Once the flour is roasted, remove and allow to cool. Sieve to remove lumps.

To the Urad dal, add the asafoetida, cumin seeds, sesame seeds. Dissolve salt in about 2 tsp of water and sprinkle over the Urad dal. Mix everything well.

Then slowly add the rice flour, and mix into a dough. It took about 5 cups of rice flour for us to get a smooth batter.

Heat a kadai with oil. When the oil is hot, check with a small bit, when it comes out, it means the oil is hot.

Pinch out a ball enough to fill the muruku achu. We used 3 holes achu.

Since the dough is very soft to use, you can directly press the muruku over the hot oil. Else press you can press over the back side of a ladle and gently slide into the oil.

Cook over medium flame on both sides. Drain to a kitchen towel.

Notes:
The original recipe calls for 4 cups of rice. Since we had rice flour, we knew 4 cups of rice would yeiled about 5 -6cups. 5 cups of flour was almost enough.

There is no need to add butter or ghee, the murukkus come out very soft and tasty.

Make sure you cook till it browns slightly. else it might not harden once it cools down.

The murukus from pan will be soft initially. After it cools down, it will turn crunchy.





Follow RecipesDream