Loading

Tomato Basil Bisque

My friend, Keri, sent me this wonderful bisque recipe a few weeks ago.  I love this lightened-up version of a cream-based favorite!  This soup is full of wonderful flavor and I didn't even miss the heavy cream.  Serve with a big salad or a loaf of crusty whole-grain bread.  Delicious~

Tomato Basil Bisque


Ingredients:
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion (I used sweet vidalia onion)
1 cup peeled chopped carrots
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 large cans roma tomatoes drained well and coarsely chopped (I used the 28oz cans San Marzano tomatoes)
3 1/2 to 4 cups chicken broth (love Wolfgang Pucks roasted chicken broth here)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt to taste

Saute onion and carrot in oil over medium heat until onion is soft and opaque.  Add garlic and saute for one more minute.  Add tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until all veggies are tender (30-35 minutes).  Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.  Puree in blender or food processor until smooth.  Return to sauce pan and heat to serving temperature. 
*I have made this soup a day ahead and put in the refrigerator overnight.  Heat in a crock pot on warm to serve the next day.
Follow RecipesDream