Loading

Gurugakku Pappu / Chenu Akka ~ Authentic Andhra | Step by Step Recipe

Now if I am to say what this variety of greens is called in English, then I am really at wits ends to know what it is called in English. This is a variety of greens that is only grown in the back yards in villages or towns. Amma got these green when we had visited our native place sometime back. I was so surprised at the different versions that they used to prepare with this. We made a pappu with it, and it made a wonderful meal.

I have been trying to update this space for a while, yet something or the other comes up and I loose focus. I have also been busy teaching my boys for their term exams. It's been equally a tough period for me, as I have to understand how to make them understand. They have so much portions to study, I wonder why 5 year old kids need to learn so much. They have sample worksheets followed by the actually exams. I am sure they have so many other things that can do much in ways to teach them. 

Anyway coming to the recipe, check out the step by step pictures to make this dal.










Ingredients Needed:

Chenu akku - 1 bunch
Toor dal - 100 gms
Green chilies - 3-4 long
Tomatoes - 2 small
Tamarind - 1 small marble size
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Seasonings
Mustard, Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Sambar onions. - 4

How to make the dal

Wash and take the greens in a pressure cooker along with washed toor dal, green chillies, tomatoes,
tamarind, sambar onions and enough water. Pressure cook till done.

Once the pressure falls, remove the water and churn the greens and dal using the lentil masher.

Heat a pan with oil, temper with seasoning ingredients. Saute till the onions are sauteed well. Then add the mashed dal with greens.

Add salt and enough water and bring to boil. Simmer for couple of minutes as required.

Serve with steamed rice.

Follow RecipesDream