Loading

Homemade Chocolate Syrup Recipe



Let's start the year off right... with chocolate!  As many of us adjust our eating habits a bit, this simple treat could be the perfect way to satisfy a sweet tooth without falling off the wagon entirely.  Mix this delicious chocolate syrup into a glass of skim milk, and you have a sweet, yet still light treat.

I love when I can re-create a recipe at home that is as good or better than the store-bought version, and this homemade chocolate syrup makes the cut!  I have recently had a hard time finding store bought chocolate syrup that doesn't contain overly processed sugars (high fructose corn syrup), preservatives and artificial flavors.  A simple look in my old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook revealed an easy recipe that sounded like it could be a great solution.  Of course the real test is, does it actually taste good... and I'm very pleased to say, yes!  In fact the flavor and thickness of this homemade syrup is extremely similar to that familiar brown bottle of Hershey's.  I would even go so far as to say this taste better! 

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
1 cup water
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, add sugar, cocoa, and salt.  Whisk together gently.  Add water.  Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat and cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Cool.  Store in the refrigerator. 

For delicious chocolate milk, add 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to 8 oz. of milk.  Heat for hot chocolate.

For milk shakes, combine 1 cup cold milk, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup and 2 cups (1 pint) of vanilla ice cream to a blender.  Blend.

This syrup would also make a delicious dessert garnish or ice cream topping.

Recipe source- Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 1968.


 
I put the cool syrup into a icing bottle I already had on hand (available at craft stores in the cake decorating department).  A bottle designed for ketchup or dressing could also work.

{Prop notes:  The large bottle I have the milk in I bought from Cost Plus World Market, but they are also sold at Farmhouse Wares.  The smaller bottles I put the chocolate milk in I bought on Etsy a while back, and the shop is no longer open.  I also own a few I've bought at antique stores and on Ebay.  Shop Sweet Lulu has some similar, smaller ones.}

Enjoy!
  
Follow RecipesDream