Loading

Yogurt Panna Cotta with Blueberry Sauce {Recipe}



Panna Cotta (Italian for "cooked cream") is a delicious, smooth, custard-like dessert.  The description I gave my husband (who had never heard of panna cotta) was that it's like a cross between jello and pudding.  One of my favorite things about panna cotta is that it can be flavored and dressed countless ways.  I've had delicious variations that were flavored with orange, lemon, and as I'm sharing today, blueberry.  I'm sure you'll be seeing a few more variations from me soon, as I had forgotten until recently how delicious and refreshing panna cotta can be. 


Yogurt Panna Cotta

3/4 cups skim milk*
1/2 cup heavy cream*
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4- 1/3 cups honey (or sugar)
2 cups plain Greek yogurt (I used non fat)

*I used both skim milk and heavy cream because that's what I had on hand, you can use all skim milk (a total of 1 1/4 cups, 2% milk, or whole milk)

Directions ~
1.  Place 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl and sprinkle the packet of gelatin on top.  Set aside while the gelatin becomes moist.
2.  In a saucepan, warm the remaining 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup of cream until simmering, but not a full boil. 
3.  Add vanilla and 1/4 cup of honey, stir and (carefully) taste.  If you would like, add a bit more honey. (I used 1/3 cup total)
4.  Add the bowl of gelatin, and whisk until the gelatin has fully dissolved into the hot milk mixture.
5.  Remove pan from heat, and stir in 2 cups greek yogurt.  Stir until fully combined.
6.  Pour final mixture into small glasses, bowls, or ramekins.  Place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours.  The panna cotta will keep well for 2 days.  (Make sure they are covered, and that there are no strong odors in your refrigerator to absorb) 

*If you are making the blueberry sauce (as shown), I added a bit of blueberry sauce into the bottom of each glass, and let it set a bit before adding the panna cotta.  When you pour in the panna cotta, pour very gently and slowly at first, to not displace the sauce too much.  Fill your glasses or dishes about 3/4 full with panna cotta, then put in the refrigerator to set.  Top with a little additional blueberry sauce and fresh blueberries before serving (or anytime after the panna cotta has set). 

Blueberry Sauce

*This is what I used, but there are about a thousand different ways to dress panna cotta.  Feel free to experiment. 

1/2 cup good quality blueberry jam (I like Trader Joe's store brand)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if using fresh, add about 1 Tablespoon water)

Warm jam and blueberries in a small sauce pan.  Mix until fully combined and hot.  Allow to cool slightly before using.    


This yogurt panna cotta could be a delicious treat for breakfast, or as a cool and refreshing dessert.

Enjoy!
Follow RecipesDream