This wonderful gingerbread originated in the Lake District, it is crunchy, chewy and spicy a cross between a flapjack and shortbread!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
125g 4 ½ oz plain flour
125g/4 ½ oz oatmeal
125g/4 ½ oz light brown muscovado sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp baking powder
150g/5 oz unsalted butter, diced
25g/1 oz stem ginger, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
2. Place the flour, oatmeal, sugar, ground ginger and baking powder into a food processor. Pulse a few times until all the ingredients are combined. Add the butter and blend until you have a fine powder. Remove 4 tablespoons of crumbs and set aside.
3. Add the stem ginger to the processor and blend until fully combined. Tip the mixture into a greased 20cm square tin and with the back of a spoon press into an even layer and sprinkle the crumbs on top.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and cut into squares, leave to cool completely then store in an airtight container.
- Follow RecipesDream
- Follow @us