Loading

CrockPot Ratatouille Recipe



Day 90!
This does not have rats in it. Nor did little rats come out of the woodwork to sit on my shoulder while I was chopping the vegetables.

My children were sorely disappointed.

Ratatouille is a traditional French vegetable stew. It is usually made with eggplant and squash, and whatever vegetables you have growing in your garden. This ratatouille was made from vegetables found at Safeway.

The Ingredients.
--1 eggplant
--1 zucchini
--1 yellow squash that looks like a zucchini ---no idea what it is really called
--1 can peeled whole tomatoes (drained)
--1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes (and juice)
--1/2 yellow onion
--1 yellow pepper
--1 orange pepper
--3 cloves minced garlic
--2 T olive oil
--1 t Italian seasoning
--1 t kosher salt
--1/2 t black pepper
--1/2 cup water


The Directions.

Chop all of your vegetables into mouth-sized chunks. I didn't peel anything.

Layer into your crockpot, cover with the spices, canned tomatoes, oil, and water.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. The ratatouille is done when the vegetables reach desired tenderness and the flavors have mingled. This will create more liquid on it's own, but it isn't overly soupy.


The Verdict.

I liked this better than I thought I would. The vegetables have a great flavor and they were nicely cooked. This would be a great pairing with a big ol' hunk of meat.


The kids wouldn't touch it because of the rat thing.

I gave away most of it to my parents, who reported back favorably.
Follow RecipesDream