Loading

CrockPot Smoky Refried Bean Soup Recipe



Day 88.

So, um, we've been sick. We're all getting better, but there is still an awful lot of lolling around whining on the couch watching hour upon hour of Food Network.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I was in the mood for comfort food. I found the idea for this recipe on the Fat Free Vegan Blog. I needed to swap some ingredients to use up what I had on hand, and I cooked it in the crockpot instead of the stove.

This is a nice soup. And evidentally it's both fat free and vegan!


The Ingredients.
--1 can of vegetarian refried beans
--1 can of black beans
--1 cup frozen roasted corn
--2 cups of vegetable broth
--1 cup baby tomatoes cut in quarters (you could used canned tomatoes--no juice-- instead)
--1 cup diced carrots
--1 t garlic (I was out of fresh. If using fresh, chop up 2-3 cloves)
--1 T tobasco sauce
--1 t cumin
--1 t oregano
--1/2 t chipotle chili powder
--salt and pepper to taste (I eyeballed, maybe 1/2 t of pepper, and a bit more for salt?)


The Directions.

--dump in refried beans into your crockpot
--turn your crock to high, to start to melt the bean blob
--rinse black beans, add to crock
--chop up the tomatoes and carrots, add to mix
--pour in your vegetable broth
--add all spices
--give a quick stir

--cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8. You aren't really "cooking" anything---just letting it all simmer and getting the carrots to soften. The soup is done when the carrots are to your liking.


The Verdict.

This was too spicy for the kids (they're sick and are living on chicken and rice soup, anyhow) but it had a wonderful kick for Adam and me. It clears sinuses nicely, without need for extra water. I liked the thick consistency a lot.

yummy!
Follow RecipesDream