Loading

CrockPot Creamed Corn Recipe


Day 112.

I adore creamed corn. I've only had it at a few restaurants here and there, and have never tried to make it on my own (before yesterday). I assumed it was corn mixed with heavy cream and some butter and sugar. I spent a few minutes digging around on websites and found that many of the recipes I dug up called for using an entire block of cream cheese to get the creamy consistency, or to simmer fresh corn cobs in cream and then cut the kernels off.
It's almost tank top season.
I can't bring myself to knowingly eat my daily allotment of calories in a 1/2 cup serving. I'm just weird that way. Yet I'll eat an entire pan of this. Or eat all of this. Oh, and remember when I ate all of this? I'm nothing without contradictions.
So anyhow, I played around in the kitchen and came up with a creamy and delicious creamed corn that won't make you (me) want to jump off a bridge if/when you (me) eat the whole pot.



The Ingredients.

--1 bag frozen white corn
--1 can corn
--1 T butter
--1 T cream cheese
--2 T flour (I used Pamela's baking mix.)
--3 T fat free milk
--1/4 t black pepper


The Directions.


--in a small saucepan, melt your butter and cream cheese over low heat on the stove top and make a rue, adding your flour slowly and wisking until there aren't any lumps. Add your milk and the liquid from the can of corns to the mix and wisk some more. The cream cheese is pretty thick, and you may need the liquid in the saucepan before the flour will melt nicely for you. Mix in the black pepper.




I've learned a lot about rouxs since the sea food alfredo debacle! Yay for helpful bloggers!

--empty the contents of the frozen bag of corn and the rest from the can of corn into your crockpot.
--cover with the sauce.
--cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4.

This is done when everything is hot and melty.


The Verdict.


Wowsers, this was amazing. I thought we'd simmer it on low throughout the day and have it alongside dinner, but we got too excited after our 3hr taste test and ate it all for lunch instead.

The kids each ate 2 bowls and couldn't stop talking about how good it was and how I should tell the Internet that it's the "best thing ever."

I would definitely put this on a holiday meal table. Mom? Sign me up for bringing this on Thanksgiving.

Adam guesstimated this would serve 6 adults as a side-dish.
Follow RecipesDream