Loading

CrockPot Spanish Rice Casserole


Day 106.


Growing up, this was one of my favorite dinners. Both my mom and my grandma made Spanish rice and I always ate at least two servings.


I brought up this memory the other night while talking at the dinner table, and realized that I haven't ever made it on my own. So I did. In the crockpot.



The Ingredients.

--1 lb of ground meat (I used turkey)
--1 cup long grain brown rice
--1 can diced tomatoes
--1 T dried minced onion (I tossed our last fresh onion because it went slimy)
--1 t Italian seasoning
--2 cloves chopped garlic


The Directions.

You have to brown the meat. I'm sorry.
I browned the meat with a bit of olive oil, and tossed the onion, the Italian seasoning, and the garlic in too.

After your meat has browned, toss it into the crock and add the 1 cup of rice.

open the tomato can, and drain the liquid into a measuring cup. You're going to need 2 cups of liquid, so add enough water to the measuring cup to equal two cups.

this is very scientific.

then dump in the tomatoes.

Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours, or until the rice is cooked and tender.

I cooked this in my oval 6 qt. for 3 1/2 hours, then flipped it to warm for the next 3 hours.



The Verdict.


This made enough for 4 servings. It was plenty for us, but if you have a large family or want a bunch of leftovers, make more.

I served this with some fresh asparagus. The kids added shredded cheese and sour cream to their servings, Adam added salsa.

I really liked it a lot---the rice ended up being a little mushy. Just like I remembered.

Follow RecipesDream