Loading

CrockPot Fried Chicken Recipe



Day 135.

My friend LuAnn has this awesome oven-fried chicken recipe that she makes to bring to picnics. I vividly remember standing at a picnic bench shoveling little chicken drumettes and wings in my mouth--and not caring who was watching-- at a first birthday party.

They were so very good.

I was so excited when I finally got the recipe, and was eager to test it out on my own.

It has MSG in it.

I just can't do it. I can't knowingly put MSG in something. Which sucks, because man, those drumsticks were the best.


I tried to create my own version (minus the MSG) over the weekend. They were good, but not as good.



The Ingredients.
--18 thawed drumsticks (or however many will fit nicely into your crockpot)
--1/4 cup butter
--1/4 cup flour (I used Pamela's)
--2 t seasoned salt
--1 T Italian seasoning
--1 t onion powder
-- 1 t paprika
--1/2 t black pepper


The Directions.

--combine all the spices and the flour in a freezer bag or in a shallow dish. Dredge each chicken piece well, and plop into your crockpot. I used the shallow dish method, because we were out of freezer bags.

--when all the chicken is in the crock, pour 1/4 cup of melted butter over it.
--cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8-10.


The Verdict.

They needed more salt. I am such a chicken (ha! chicken! so didn't plan that...) when it comes to salting food. I used 2t of seasoned salt, but I probably could have used a whole tablespoon. And maybe some more onion powder.

The pieces of chicken on top and near the sides of the crock got a bit crispy, which was a nice surprise. We've all been munching on the drumsticks for lunch the past few days. I like them better cold, the kids like it heated and chopped up with barbecue sauce.
Follow RecipesDream