Loading

CrockPot Egg, Feta, and Mushroom Breakfast Casserole



Day 154.

Last week, I saw that Kalyn had posted an egg dish with feta and mushroom. I happened to have a new carton of eggs in the fridge and a block of feta that I didn't know what to do with. Within nano-seconds of reading her blog post, I ran to the store to pick up the mushrooms so I could plop everything into the crockpot. This is a fabulous breakfast dish---the eggs and the feta are fluffy and juicy and not grease-filled. I would serve these eggs to overnight guests any time.

The Ingredients.

--1 dozen eggs
--1 lb sliced mushrooms
--1 lb sliced portabella mushrooms (or other "fancy" mushroom)
--1 chopped red bell pepper
--1 block feta cheese
--1/2 t black pepper

The Directions.

Saute the mushrooms and bell pepper in a largeish frying pan on the stove in a bit of olive oil or butter (I used butter) until they are wilty and tender. Spray the inside of your crock with cooking spray, and add the cooked mushrooms, bell pepper, and the mushroom juice.

Crumble in the entire block of feta cheese.

In a large bowl, crack all 12 eggs, and mix with a fork. Add the pepper to the eggs and mix.

Pour the egg on top of the feta and veggies.

Cover and cook on high for 2-4 hours. I used a 4qt round crockpot for this dish and it cooked in 3 hours, 15 minutes.


The Verdict.

I love these eggs. I really like how creamy the feta got, and how the eggs were flavored so nicely without any grease. I hate having too much grease for breakfast, yet love to have cheese and eggs. This is such a great compromise----I greatly look forward to having it again.

We ate this for lunch. The kids did great--they were in a really good mood, and happily ate 3-4 bites each before wandering off. I think it was a fluke.
Follow RecipesDream