Loading

The Beet Wraps ~ Beetroot in disguise!

My experiments with Beet lead me to another lovely way of eating Beets. Well even though I have kind of come in terms to eating Beets, I still found I had some hiccups in terms of accepting it wholeheartedly! So wondering how best to camouflage the beets, stuffing them in wraps is the best alternative I could think up. Beets are mixing in onions and sautéed in Bengal gram. Well anything that comes in contact with beets, gets modified to Red! I remember Konda telling me about her classmate, who got Beetroot Poriyal along with Curd Rice. Gosh, she was saying Mummy, it was all so red, I couldn't see any curd rice in the box. It was so colourful that it prompted her to ask me for same combo, though I have not actually got down making a Beetroot Poriyal along with Curd Rice for her.Oh Gawd, I can't get myself think of the scene!

Talking of Konda, yea she said she did well yesterday. Quoting her words, 'Mummy, I was bold and said all the lines correctly without forgetting it. And my mam liked my dress, she made me wear it the whole day.' So I guess she enjoyed parading the school in a colour dress. That brings back memories of my own school days, when I had gone to school in colour dress, as we say. Uniform tends to be boring on daily basis, right, guess that's with every child. But I actually loved my uniform. It was a blue pinafore with white shirt. I enjoyed taking it out, ironing it neatly and the shining black shoes, were just the cream to add on! There I go rambling again...

Lets get back to the Beet Wraps, shall we? Ok, before that, take a minute to check out the Roman lapping himself in luxury!


Ingredients Needed

Chapatis/ Rotis - 2
Beetroot - 1 small
Bengal Gram - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 small
Grated Coconut - 1 tsp
Garlic - 3-4 pods small
Chilies - 2 small
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Curry leaves and Coriander leaves for seasoning and garnish.

Method to prepare:

Peel and cut Beetroot into small cubes. Pressure Cook till done. Keep it aside.

Soak Bengal Gram for 30 mins. Pressure Cook separately till done.

Prepare Chapatis in the regular way. Keep it aside.

Run the grated coconut and garlic in a mixer to get a coarse paste.

Heat a pan with oil, add the curry leaves, then add coconut garlic mix. Sauté well. Then add chopped onions and fry till they turn golden. Then add the chopped chilies, then cooked beets. Fry till the water absorbs. Simmer for 5 mins.

Then add the cooked bengal gram, all the powders. Mix well. Adjust salt and spice if needed. Since we add chopped chilies, adjust the chili powder accordingly. Simmer for 5 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Then spread the Roti on a plate, fill the Beet filling in middle and roll the Chapati over it. Heat a pan, smear oil or butter if you want, place the stuffed wrap on it and let it get cooked in sim flame. Allow it to stand for 2-3 mins. The outer chapatis becomes crispy.

Alternatively, you can even bake this too. The beets can be served with Rice as poriyal. But this way it tasted awesome.

Left over chapatis can be best used this way, I think!
Follow RecipesDream