Loading

CrockPot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe


Day 267.

Good morning! I decided to take the advice given from Fortress of Awesome to make a soup with Velveeta to get my kids excited about the Crock-Pot again.

It worked.

Velveeta is wonderful.

I had a bit left over from the Buffalo Wing Soup, and was happy to use it up. That stuff is dangerous. I found myself cutting off a sliver here and there just because it was 10 am. Or 1 pm.

I've made this soup for years----I think Carmen is who first gave me the recipe, and it was before I had children. Adam and I were pretty much still kids ourselves, and I remember sitting together on a zebra "skin" rug in front of the TV eating this with a loaf of sourdough bread.

I have since lightened it up the best I can without losing the cheesy-goodness. I have also omitted the can of condensed cream-of-something soup.

The Ingredients.

--4 cups chicken broth
--1 T dried onion (or 1/2 of a white onion, diced finely)
--1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained on the stove top
--1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
--2 potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes (the photo showed 4, but after cutting 2, I saw it was plenty)
--2 small garlic cloves, minced
--1 cup milk (to add later, soy is fine)
--24 oz Velveeta, cubed (to add later)
--Tabasco sauce, optional
--crumbled bacon, optional

The Directions.

Brown the meat on the stove top with the onion, and drain fat. I have used 1/2 pound instead of a whole pound before, and we didn't miss the extra meat. Set aside to cool a bit.

In a 5-6 quart crockpot, pour in chicken broth. Add garlic, bell pepper, and potatoes (I didn't peel them), and add. Stir in the browned meat and onion.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until onions are translucent and potatoes are tender. Stir in milk and Velveeta 20-30 minutes before serving. If you'd like the broth thicker, blend a bit with a hand held stick blender.

Garnish with Tabasco sauce and crumbled bacon if desired.

The Verdict.

Everyone liked this. Surprise, surprise.

We are now out of Velveeta. This is probably a good thing.
Follow RecipesDream