Loading

Mixed Flour Athirasam ~ Deep Fried Loves!

You don't get answers to all the questions that life poses! Infact many a times, you just drift in and out and you think you know what you want to do and doing. Most times we are just ignorant, atleast I am. Its been a while since I got into any serious thinking. Off late, I haven't had the time nor opportunity to even ponder on such philosophies of life. Once upon a time, when the lane was much greener, when life, though hectic and interesting, was moving on a much relaxed pace. Then yes, life had me indulging in deep thinking, pondering over prose or verse. At the strike of the muse, I either saw myself lapping on canvas or rambling on text. But now, believe me I neither get a chance to even glance at a pen or even take a paper!

Well that's the joy of motherhood, I learnt! Now all I can think of, as a means to relax myself, is indulging in fancy cooking or something that my kids might like to eat. Now who said that cooking is a core? Well atleast most times its not the way I look at it. I find it therapeutic and healing. I can actually forget my impending project releases, or the hoards of cupboards that need to be stacked up again or the other haraar things that might need to be addressed immediately! On one such occasions, I find myself in company of such dishes, that I normally won't otherwise think of making.

Konda loves Athirasam, so thought this variation might also be liked. Infact this turned out to be much easier that the other one. It was crunchy and stays crispy for about 3-4 days. Anyway knowing myself, these won't be allowed to stay for so long.

But before that, do take time to check the latest guest post on Bachelor's feast in Spice your Life!

Ingredients Needed:

Maida - 1 cup
Rice floor - 1 cup
Besan - 1/2 cup
Cardamom a pinch
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Sesame seeds Both white and black - 1 tsp
Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jaggary - 1 & 1/2 cup
Oil for deep frying

Method to prepare:

As usual, cup measurement means, whichever cup you use, has to be used for all ingredients.

In a bowl, take all the flours and other ingredients except jaggary, white sesame seeds. Mix well and keep aside.

In pan, melt jaggary and remove scum. Then again bring the jaggary syrup to boil and cook till you get a one thread consistency This can be checked by taking out a spoon and touching it between your index finger and thumb. When you move your finger, you will get single thread. At that point you can remove from fire.



Slowly mix this syrup to the flours. Knead to get a stiff dough. Take small balls and press on a greased plastic sheet. Pat few white sesame seeds on both sides.

Meanwhile, heat a pan with Oil. It needs to be hot, when you start cooking the Athirasam.

Gently slide each one into hot Oil. Simmer and cook on both sides. When its cooked, using two slotted spatulas, press to drain excess oil.

Surprisingly, these didn't drink much oil. Allow to cool and store in an air tight containers.

I finally have something to send to dear Mythreyee's Sweet Series, which features Deep Fried ones this month! Thanks Mythreyee, though I am not very keen on sweets, your round ups are going to be bookmarked!
Follow RecipesDream