Loading

Pepper Chicken Curry ~ Too hot to handle!

Its been a while since I have cooked anything new. Atleast as a main course or something savory. Athamma has been busy making a version called Ashoka Halwa, which is a modified version of Moong Dal halwa. Then she made Yellow Moong dal Payasam for neivedyam. Both of which I didn't get time to click. As both were much appreciated and was over within minutes of preparing, I will have to make it again, so planning to click away some pictures to share with you all.

Meanwhile, Konda's quarterly exams are over and her 10 days of vacation starts today. Athamma already said, if she is going to become very naughty, she will send her off to Amma's place, which I know is going to happen anyways. She was up with us very late last night. I was telling her that she ought to hit the bed, if she has to get up early. She gave me that look and said, 'I have studied everything'. I said even then, you ought sleep now. Then asked her what's her plan for the next 10 days, I said I know for sure you are going to drive everybody crazy! She said it will be great if she was sent to her cousin's place! Well no answers for that anyways..

I have few things in mind to occupy her, but just wondering when I am going to get time to sit with her to make that. I remembered stitching dresses for my dolls when I was her age. Nobody taught me nor did Amma ever stop me from trying my hand with needle and thread. I wonder why I am so scared to let Konda touch the needle. But I thought when Amma never objected me on any of these things, I should also treat Konda same. So I have got some cloths that I am planning to sit with her and make dresses for dolls. Hope they come out as cute as I remember mine used to be!

This Pepper Chicken Curry was something that was made ages back. This is another favorite chicken variety at home. Though when I make it for Dad, I reduce the spice of the chilies and peppers. I prepare this with both Red Chilis and Green chilies. And use freshly ground masala powder. I don't use garam masala as I grind everything together for the powder. In this version, I used Red chilies, you can use green chilies too. Hubby dear liked it a lot, maybe because it was spicy. So go easy on the spiciness if you end up trying it. This can be prepared both as a dry version and curry version. Well with the curry name, you know I meant this to be part of the Curry Mela, which I am still getting the act together!

Pepper Chicken Curry

Chicken - 500 gms
Onions - 3 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 5-8
Coriander leaves for garnish.
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Roasted Masala:

Peppercorns - 10 - 15 nos
Red Chili long - 2
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 2"
Bay Leaf - 1
Anise - 1
Fennel Seeds - 3/4 tsp

Method to prepare:

Wash and cut Chicken to desired size.

Dry roast all the ingredients listed under masala. Allow it cool and grind to a fine powder.

Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Sauté curry leaves and onions till pink, then add ginger garlic paste.

Then add the chicken and allow it to brown. Once done, add the tomatoes and chili powder, salt. Cook on high for 2 mins, allowing the water from the chicken to evaporate. Simmer for 2 mins covered.

Then add 1 cup of water and pressure cook till the chicken gets tender. Once the pressure is off, remove cover and again cook it in open.

Add the ground masala and combine everything well. Simmer for 5- 10 mins. Add the coriander leaves.

If you want this to be dry, reduce the onions to 1&1/2 to 2 medium. After pressure cook, let the water get evaporated completely. Then add the ground masala and sauté till you get a nice coating to the chicken but the liquid has all gone.

Note: The combination of all chili powder, dry chili and the pepper corns make this very spicy. So go easy on that if you can't handle spicy stuff.

This makes a great side dish for Rice, Roti or even as a starter if you can handle the hot!

Sending this to Ruth, who is hosting the Monthly Mingle this month, themed on Sensational Sides.
Follow RecipesDream