Loading

CrockPot Applesauce Chicken Recipe


Day 263.

This is a good chicken recipe. Don't be concerned by the name--the chicken doesn't turn into applesauce, it gets cooked in it, but still keeps shape. You should make this.

When I
made applesauce earlier in the week, I meant to save a bit to try out Amiyrah's from (4 Hats and Frugal) Famous Applesauce Chicken. But the kids ate it all. So I used store-bought.

The Ingredients.


--4 frozen chicken breast halves or thighs (I used 2 of each)
--1 1/2 cups of applesauce

--1 T dried onion flakes, or 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
--1 T apple cider vinegar

--1/4 tsp cinnamon

--1/2 tsp black pepper
--2 cloves garlic, minced
--1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, I used them, and added more to the adult servings)

The Directions.

A 3 or 4 quart crockpot is the best size for this, but I did use a 6 quart. If your pot cooks fast, err on the lower end of cooking time.


I decided to up the applesauce a bit from
Amiyrah's original recipe and omitted the water. I live life on the edge.

Put the frozen chicken pieces into your crockpot. Add the onion (if you are using the dried onion, wait and add it to the applesauce). In a bowl, mix the applesauce, vinegar, garlic, and spices together. Pour on top of the chicken.


Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4.


Serve with rice or quinoa. I used a butternut squash risotto package I had, and then kicked myself because it was the same color as the chicken. I am never going to be a food stylist.

The Verdict.


The kids ate this! And liked it! And said I was the best mother ever and that I should make this every single night from now on. and it had nothing to do with the long lecture about wasting food and starving people. nothing at all.
Follow RecipesDream