Loading

Cabbage Soup ~ Ultimate Diet Food!

We are just back from our two days trip and weekend saw us celebrating our twins 2nd birthday. I had planned for few things, but looks like plans are only for paper! Chinnu was not keeping well and everything was so hectic that we didn't get to do anything properly. I wonder if all parents face the same pressure during such time. We had the birthday party at home and then hurried up to start an early day for the trip next morning. Luckily both of them are much better today. We even managed to send all of them to school on time. We had gone to Tirumala for blessings and now Peddu and Chinnu spot a shinny tonsured head! They are now going to be referred as bold and bald head boys for couple of weeks!

Getting back to today's recipe, let me warn you upfront that, coming days you will be seeing some soups taking the center place in my blog. I had always wondered why I never got around featuring Soups. which is missing from my Recipe Index! Yes, as I have said, I am not really a very keen soup person. But I decided I am going to address that and so you will be seeing handful of soups parading over here. I have few delicious soups tucked away and have tried many in those bygone days. But then thinking of making soups and then having it included in regular dinner, makes it such a lengthy process. So had always kept it for another day to come. Now that's become the schedule!


Those days when I was making soups, I used to enjoy the time spent with Amma. We used to make together. So when I decided that I am going to make those soups again, I asked Amma to make them for me, as I was not able to get back home on time during nights. This delicious cabbage soup was entirely Amma's own concoction and she was hesitant if I would like it or not. But believe me, it was simply so yummy that I have already made this again couple of times. Cabbage, as you know, is very good for health. Consuming a bowl of raw or half cooked cabbage helps you in losing weight, apart from so many beneficial factors.

Ingredients Needed:

Cabbage - 150 gms
Onions - 1 medium
Garlic - 3 - 4 medium sized pods
Salt to taste
Pepper as per taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Maida / All purpose flour - 1 tsp (opt)
Butter - 2 drops (opt)
Milk - 3 tbsp

Method to prepare:

Wash and chop cabbage roughly. Chop Onions and Garlic. Keep aside.

Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Roast the chopped Onions till they are pink. If you are using All purpose flour, then roast once the onions are done.Then add the cabbage and roast for 2 mins.

Then add 1 cup of water and pressure cook the roasted vegetables. Pressure cook for 1 whistle and allow it to cool.

Once cooled, grind to a smooth paste. Sieve and run for a smooth paste. Add water as per consistency.

Cook without lid, add salt, pepper. Simmer and add milk. Cook for 1 min. Bring to boil or till you get the required thickness.

I have done without adding APF and butter, there is not much difference in taste. It was yummy this way too. I simply couldn't believe it was a soup with Cabbage!

It was filling on its own, but I also had a serving toasted Brown bread for some!

This is off to Divya for her event on Diet Food.

Its also for Lisa at Lisa's Kitchen for October's No Croutons Required featuring Vegetarian Soups
Follow RecipesDream