Loading

CrockPot Potato Leek Soup Recipe


Day 290.

Wow, the year is flying by. I meant to make potato leek soup eons ago, and never got around to it. My mom made some on the stove top over the weekend and brought over a container, and it egged me on to recreate it in the crockpot.

It was terribly easy. Especially because Adam was home for the day (I was on call for jury duty. I didn't have to go in, phew.) and did all of the chopping while I answered email.

I didn't add any heavy cream. You can, but I was pleased with the flavor and creaminess without a drop of cream.

The Ingredients.

--3 large leeks, cleaned and diced (you only use the white part)
--1 medium yellow onion, chopped
--1 pound brown potatoes (weigh them---you'll only need 2 or 3)
--5 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
--1/2 tsp thyme
--1/4 tsp black pepper
--2 cloves chopped garlic

--1 cup heavy cream (optional)

The Directions.

Have your husband do all the work.

He used the 6.5 quart eLume---peel the potatoes and chop everything up and toss it in with the broth and the spices.

If you are going to use heavy cream, you don't add that until cooking is complete.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for about 4.

When the potatoes and onion are fully cooked and soft, use an immersible blender to soupify.
If you don't have an immersible blender, blend in small batches CAREFULLY in your traditional blender.

Stir in heavy cream, if desired.

The Verdict.

This is a light, creamy soup that is perfect for a starter course, or for sipping out of a mug on the couch. I'm going to have it for lunch this week.

Adam packed some to take for lunch at work. The kids didn't try it, and thought it smelled gross. It does have an earthy smell while it cooks. I opened a window and turned on a fan.

thank you, mom!
Follow RecipesDream