Loading

Korra Annam Payasam ~ Foxtail Millet Porridge!

Korra Annam, as its called is referred as Foxtail Millet, maybe be easily available to all. But I wanted to share variation made with Korra annam, with you all. I have mentioned before, this was the staple food at my Athamma's maternal house and she grew on this. She had adapted this to her family too and even now she gets a bag of this from her native. The most common way this is confused is as the cooked one, its referred as Annam, since its eaten with dal. She was very enthusiastic when I asked her to show me the different ways this can be used in cooking. We have made dosas, idlis, upmas and of course, a payasam too with this cooked millet. The taste of this yummy Korra Annam payasam, is something you got to taste, to know how delicious it is. Well if you can imagine the taste of Palakova, you are somewhat close!

Come weekend, we are left wondering what to make for the neivedhyam.So this time Athamma said she will make this payasam, that she used to eat at her mom's place. Imagine that! I was really glad that she was teaching me a traditional Indian sweet made with a rare ingredient. Since on Sunday, my kids always get up early, Athamma didn't want to take it for chance. So it was all done before they got up. She had so delicately roasted the nuts in ghee to sprinkle over it. I sprinkled all over with a sense that the picture looks perfect! Of course, it was all over after the pooja was done. I can still feel the lingering taste of this delicious payasam!

Check out other dishes made with Korra Biyam / Korra Annam.

I will be posting a series on Deepavali Snacks and Savories for the next few days! I know I am going to enjoy them!

First in the series, are the Maida Biscuits.


Ingredients Needed:

Korra Annam / Foxtail Millet - 1 cup
Jaggary - 1 & 1/2 cup
Grated Coconut - 2 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Cardamom a pinch
Ghee - 2 tsp

Garnish

Cashew nuts
Almonds
Raisins
Coconut pieces

Method to prepare:

Cook Korra Annam in a pressure cooker. See if its well cooked.

Meanwhile, melt jaggary in a pan. Remove scrum. Then add cooked korra annam, grated coconut, milk, water to the melted jaggary. Bring to boil.

Heat ghee in a pan and roast all the nuts and then pour over the payasam.

Sending this to


Follow RecipesDream