Loading

Gallina en Pepitoria - Hen in Pepitoria

What was first the egg or the chicken? This tricky question always reminds me of a story my mom told me: when I was a little girl (went to kindergarden), the teacher asked me: What's the colour of white cow's milk? And, of course, I said white. And then she asked, what's the colour of the black cow's milk? What do you think I answered? Black... of course! It was a logical thought :D Going back to chickens and eggs, this post will be about a hen's recipe that became so hard that couldn't be eaten. Even though I knew the book's recipe was short on cooking time and I added one more hour... the hen was hard as a rock!!! That's why I finally chose to repeat it with chicken.

What sound do your chickens do? Here in Spain all chickens sing: Ki ki ri kiii. And also, another question: are a live and dead chicken named the same? Here the live one is called Gallo and the one we eat (dead) is called Pollo. But a hen is always called Gallina, no matter it's dead or alive... weird ugh? This one was so dead, poor thing. I remember my parents raising chickens when we were kids in our country house and I remember my grandmother killing them so that they would go inside the casserole and one day... she didn't hold the bird properly and after cutting it's head the animal scaped and run a few meters... Aaaaahhhhh... she didn't care at all! But my brother and I were soooooo impressed!


This is an old Traditional Spanish Recipe from La Rioja and from now on I'll try to have Typical and Traditional recipes in a separate space in my blog so that you can check and look for old Spanish Recipes :D
Ingredients for 4 servings: 1 Hen (but, as I said, I used a chicken), 100 grs of ham (serrano in dices is fine), 1 glass of white dry wine, 10 toasted almonds, 2 boiled eggs, 2 spoon table of flour, 1 glass of chicken stock, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, a bunch of herbs (use the ones you prefer) I used thyme, bay leaf and oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper, saffron and nutmeg.
  • Clean the chicken and cut in 8 regular pieces. Dress with salt and pepper. Take a big sauce pan and with some olive oil, fry the chicken pieces and when they start getting golden, add the ham, onion, garlic and the herbs.
  • Cook until the onion gets transparent and then pour the flour, the wine and the stock. Dress with pepper, saffron (6 strings) and nutmeg (a pinch). Simmer until the chicken gets tender. It will take approximately 30 to 45 minutes. If your chicken is farm raised or wild it might take some more time.
  • Boil the eggs and reserve.
  • Meanwhile, smash the almonds, the egg yolks and some water in a mortar. Reserve.
  • When the chicken is tender, add this mortar dressing to the sauce pan. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes.
  • Have with some puree aside... pumpkin, potatoe...

A super easy recipe with a wonderful flavour! Better to eat the day after of after a few hours. Serve hot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

I'm ashamed and of myself! How could I be so dump? I don't know where my credibility will go after this, but I had to tell you... they say that is wise to correct ones mistakes... but I don't feel wise at all!!!

I mentioned in my post that pollo is the dead chicken and gallo the alive one. Wrong!!!! Pollo is also a live chicken. We have pollo's farms here and they are not dead! How didn't I think of that? Aaahhhhh! You can throw some tomatoes to my face here!
It's called gallo, or rooster the poultry yard male of the chicken (Gallus gallus).

Please forgive my stupidity!

Follow RecipesDream