Loading

Walnut and Banana Bundt Cake

What do you think? Awesome ugh? Yeah, I was so proud of myself when I finished this cake!!! But, even though it looks so appealing, as we say here las apariencias engañan - appearances are deceptive - I mean that the sight of the cake would make you think it was perfectly baked, but the truth is that it needed some improvement!

First things first: I needed a cake for my father's birthday party and I had seen one at Laurie's from Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska that seemed so easy and "good looking". So, there I went and printed the recipe. I thought I had all the ingredients, but some were missing or I just didn't have enough, this was my first mistake. Second, I didn't check what a cup measure would be in grams, and I simply took a big coffee cup and used it for my measures. And third I changed Laurie's cake glaze for some melted chocolate... this wasn't bad at all for a change ;D. So you might want to follow Laurie's recipe... find it here.
Not that the cake couldn't be eaten!!!! It was good, but I'm a strict and critic woman and always want things as close to perfection as possible! In fact, there were no crumbs left... but this time... Disney stories moral wasn't true: the beauty wasn't inside... it was outside ;D.

The main problem the cake had was that the texture was too thick, not spongy. Otherwise, the flavour was good.


Ingredients for the cake: (in green: original recipe ingredients, in red: what I changed).
* 2-3 ripe pears (2 cups chopped) 2 cups of ripe banana
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups of sugar
* 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
* 3 eggs 4 eggs
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon peel I forgot
* 1 1/3 coarsley chopped pecans I used 250 grs of walnuts instead
The melting chocolate:
* aprox 100 grs of 70% cacao chocolate,
* 20 grs of butter,
* 1 Tbsp. of sugar

  • Preheat oven at 180ºC.
  • I use a silicon mold that doesn't need any rubbed oil, but if you don't have it, then oil your bundt.
  • Peel the bananas and smash with a fork. Reserve.
  • In a big bowl get the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir the oil, eggs and vanilla extract into the dry ingredients. Add the smashed banana and the walnuts (chopped). Pour it into the bundt mold.
  • Bake for 60 minutes or until a thin skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the mold for 20 minutes. Turn upside down onto a wire rack and finish cooling it.
  • For the melting chocolate, prepare the chopped chocolate and butter inside a bowl and have it at bain marie until it melts, then add the sugar and stir. Pour over the cake when the chocolate is still hot and let cool down.
  • My cups were the equivalent of a 1/3 of litre. I guess that was too much.

Have fun :D

Follow RecipesDream