Loading

Lunch Box Series : LBS#47 Avial ~ Melody of assorted Vegetables in a gravy!

For everybody there must always be something that reminds them of their childhood likes and wants right. In my case, I end up thinking about them in every turn and twist. I sometimes wonder if it only me or with everybody? I hardly find such thoughts hovering over hubby dear's mind. I guess its more to do the gentle genes that we women posses or so I want to think!

Coming back to my original thought process, I was pondering over the fact that I ended up reminiscing lot more over my teenage days upon seeing a dish. That actually sounds weird to me at times. But then guess I got to live that. So when Amma made this Avial sometime back, it got me remembering those lovely Saturday lunches spent drooling over a feast. She used to ensure Saturdays were vegetarian specials and used to rotate my favorite dishes. I always cherish over how our parents made us feel so special to them, infact they still do. And I try very hard trying to make my children feel so too.

Well when Amma made this Avial, she also happened to tell Athamma that I used to love this. So you can imagine what happened next. Athamma kept some for me for the dinner and even at the late hour I got back, I saw a bowl sadly waiting for me, which I couldn't taste. So she was telling me that I should attempt at it another day. One thing led to another and you find me discussing it here today! With great hopes I planned for a lunch to be paired with Pappu Chaaru, as this was the combo I used to love. It got to be either Sambar or a thinner version. I remember the most South Indian wedding feast is incomplete without this avial.

So I was only too happy recording the way Amma makes at home!

Before that, I just wanted to mention that I finally came about to have an About me page! its nearly 2 years overdue!.:)

And yes I also ended up on a random musing too. I would love to hear your thoughts on my Spice your life post too!

Today's Lunch Box had

Pappu Charu
Avial
Rasam with rice
Curd with Rice

Photobucket

Avial

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 10 - 15 mins
Cuisine: Kerala
Serves : 3-4 medium servings

Ingredients Needed:

Vegetables to be cut in the same size.
Yam, Arbi (Colacasia), Ash Gourd/White pumpkin (Budida gummadikaya), Carrot, French Beans, Cluster Beans, Black eyed Peas (Karamani), Potato, Raw plantain - 50 gms
Drumstick - 1

Thick Curds/ Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Cooking Oil - 2 tsp
Curry leaves few

Grind the following to a smooth paste:

Coconut - 1/2
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Green chilli - 4 nos

Method to prepare:

Prep the vegetables and cut them into equal size. If you are using pressure cooker, add salt and water enough to cover the vegetables and put it on high flame, you should switch the flame when the first whistle is about to go. This way the vegetables are half done. Drumstick can be added in the end, so that the shape is retained.

Remove the cooker lid and bring to boil, when it starts boiling, add the coconut paste. Mix well and bring to boil again.

Photobucket

At this stage, add the thick curds and stir well.

In another pan, heat the oil and temper with curry leaves. Pour this hot oil into the boiling pan. It should be done within 2 minutes.

Note: When using coconut oil, it can be added without heating.

Authentic recipe calls for coconut oil, but for those who don't like it can use regular cooking oil

Update on the Mithai Mela:

Thank you everybody for the overwhelming response! I am still trying to wade the sweet assault, will try to do the round up by June 1st, please bear with me.

Have a great weekend!
Follow RecipesDream