Loading

CAVIAR... my new food discovery.



True Caviar is the female's sturgeon roe. Everything else is just a substitute or other fish roe. The substitutes are often Lumpfish, cod, salmon, mullet... all but Sturgeon. There are twenty-five varieties of sturgeon, three of them can be captured in the Caspian Sea: beluga, Ossetra, sevruga. The price of caviar is reflected in the rarity or availability of sturgeon.

Today, you can also find Caviar in the Spanish Pyrenees, more precisely at Vielha (Catalan Pyrenees Mountain village). This past summer, we visited Caviar Nacarii factory and we bought one small Caviar can. Now I understand why it is a Tzar and king's delicatessen!!!!

Take a look at these black pearls, it is one of the best things I ever tasted. Not that I will be buying it every week, but, I'm so glad we bought a little can (only 70 grs) and tried it :D. It has such a special taste and texture... I loved it! However, it's sooooo expensive that I won't be able to buy it on a regular basis. Maybe another can for my birthday? ;D.

We were told that the best way to eat it is using a nacre spoon so that it doesn't interfere in its taste. We didn't  have a nacre spoon, but we enjoyed it anyway.

What do you think it could fit the best? We had it with a fresh Taittinger Champagne bottle. Yes, you can say I'm a snob, but, it was SUPER!!!
Maybe you can have a fresh gazpacho afterwards, or some fried eggs with caviar on top, or over some foie... but the best way ever will be all by itself in my mouth :D.

Cheers!
Follow RecipesDream