Loading

Anapakaya Vankaya Masala Kura Recipe ~ Hyacinth Bean, Brinjal in a spicy gravy Recipe

After a day at home with kids you would think we have energy enough to start the day all bright? I know it's the same old story but well we decided we just ignore that and anyway start with brightness. Sunday breakfast was Appam with Tomato Kurma and Coconut Milk. I know how boring that might sound week after week. But what else to do, Poori or Appam is what the kids ever want on a Sunday. Best part of this breakfast is, I can make the same for their dinner and nobody complains!

We were also expecting guests. S who was our family friends daughter. I have known her from when were kids. She recently moved to our city to do her masters. She was visiting us with her friend N, who was really so sweet and gentle and was a doctor. I couldn't believe that in the first instance. Kids were so excited. I guess with us getting hardly any guests they were super duper excited in showing off with new people. Konda was asking me since morning about when S Akka will come home etc. What was more funny was that the boys were saying different names each time they asked.

Amma was entertaining them and prepared lunch. I was supposed to make the evening snacks. But Amma again said she had the batter for Meddu Vada ready. I planned to make Cauliflower pakoda, sad that I didn't get a chance! Dad had arranged for S and her friend a trip to Marina Beach and she was insisting that I go with them with the boys too. She had met them yet as they were napping. I said it wouldn't be possible for me to manage them all. I think I will skip her reaction after meeting my kids along with my niece!

Getting to the recipe on hand, with the winter giving us abandance of Val / Hyacinth bean / Mochai / Anumulu Anapakaya in Telugu. There is a confusion on the name Anapakaya where few areas of Andhra call Sorakaya/ Bottle gourd as Anapakaya. I am not sure what they call Anumulu as! But in the parts of Rayalaseema, Andhra the dried beans are as Anumulu, and the fresh beans.are called as Anapakaya

Translation
Vanakaya - > Brinjal in English

These fresh beans are also skinned or peeled to make the famous pithikina pappu kura. This winter when I paired the whole beans with Brinjal in a masala base, it was one most enjoyable treat. and makes a great side dish for Chapatis.

Between, I made a simple Vermicelli Upma for Konda, do check out!


Preparation Time : 10 mins
Pressure Cooking Time for Val : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Cuisine : Andhra Cuisine

Anapakaya Vankaya Masala Kura Recipe ~ Hyacinth Bean, Brinjal in a spicy gravy Recipe


Ingredients Needed:

Hyacinth bean / Mochai / Anumulu - 1 cup
Brinjal / Vankaya - 2 medium
Onions - 2 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish

For Tempering

Mustard Seeds, Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few

For the ground Masala:

Fresh Coconut - 2 -3 tbsp
Green Chili - 1 - 2 (as per taste)
Fresh Coriander leaves - 2 -3 tbsp
Cloves - 2 -3
Cinnamon - 2"
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp


Method to prepare:

Pressure cook the fresh beans for 1 or 2 whistle depending on how soft you want the beans to be. I normally do it for 1 whistle and remove before it comes to the second one.

Meanwhile get the ground masala done and the chopping. Chop Brinjals as square chunks.

Heat a pan with oil, add the seasoning, then onions. Fry till the onions are done and lightly brown.

Then add in the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Once the tomatoes get mush, add the ground masala along with chopped brinjals. Let it get cooked well on covered in low flame.

Stir well and see if oil has started coming out of the sides. At this stage, add the cooked Vals, combine everything well and add 1 cup of water or more depending on how much gravy you need. Bring to boil.

Simmer till you reach the consistency you want. Add the coriander leaves kept for garnish.

Serve with Rice or Roti.


Follow RecipesDream