Loading

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Knock-Off

We actually have never eaten at Red Lobster before (serious seafood allergies will do that to you), but after reading the description of these knock-off biscuits in the Food Network magazine I couldn't resist trying them for ourselves. I was in a big hurry the first time we tried them, so I just handed the recipe over to my 12-year-old daughter to whip together. I don't know what I expected, but I was in love with the melt-in-your-mouth texture and great flavor from the very first bite. They are now my new favorite quick and easy side to make with pasta and Mexican main dishes. They're much quicker than breadsticks and believe me when I say you'll have a hard time stopping at just one!


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

CHEDDAR BISCUIT:
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon PLUS 2 teaspoons baking powder
2-1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. shortening (Crisco)
4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6-ounces grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 cup whole milk (I used skim milk)


GARLIC BUTTER:
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 tsp. fresh parsley

Directions: Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425°. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces.



Add the cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. (NOTE: I do not have a food processor, so I used my old-fashioned pastry cutter with excellent results) Pour in the milk and pulse (or use a fork) just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough.


Turn out onto a clean surface and knead just until the dough comes together. Do NOT overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.


Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2 inches apart and bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. ( Mine took only 10 minutes)



Meanwhile, make the garlic butter by melting the butter with the garlic in small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in parsley.
(they were yummy even without the garlic butter)

Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm. Makes 12 biscuits. Enjoy!
Follow RecipesDream