Loading

Braided Bread

Because this recipe was a staple in my home growing up, I sometimes wonder if that is the reason I love it so much. It has become a comfort food as it reminds me of the treasured memories of being with my mother in her kitchen. But then when I take this bread to a dinner party, deliver it to a friend in need, or serve it to company, I am reminded that it's just plain good on it's own... childhood memories or not! It is my most requested recipe by far. 
Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:


2 Tbs. yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
1/4 cup soft butter (not melted)
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (2.9-oz.) dry custard mix (or vanilla pudding mix)
3-4 cups flour (I usually use all white flour, but recipes's pictures are shown using 2 cups of white whole wheat flour and the rest white)


Directions:  In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add softened butter, salt, and dry custard mix.  Stir until dissolved.  Gradually add flour to right consistency.  Knead dough 12 times (or 2 minutes in mixer).
Divide dough into 6 equal portions and roll out into a long shape.  Braid 3 together for a loaf. 
Place on greased cookie sheet.  Let rise 2 hours (or until doubled). 
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.  Makes 2 loaves.
NOTE:  Don't use sugar free varieties of custard or vanilla pudding mixes.   I made my first batch using Bird's Custard mix and I didn't realize until after the loaf was hard and flavorless that it contained absolutely no sugar.  I recommend just using the Jello brand custard or pudding mixes.
Enjoy!!!

**************

Thank you to my cousin Trisha for sharing one of her very family favorite recipes!  We've enjoyed this Trisha-made bread many times and loved it every time (even thawed out after being frozen).  I just started making it myself  and it is absolutely wonderful....a new family favorite for us!


One more word of warning from recipes:  Whatever you do, if you happen to be totally exhausted from overextending yourself once again and you think you're going to make some of your cousin's bread so you can take a few pictures for her post....

(Yep, I stopped in the middle of  arranging the ingredients and fell sound asleep right there on the chair.  It wasn't a long nap though, since I was quickly awakened by the sounds of my daughter clicking away on the camera.)


Don't miss a single recipe, sign up on the right for free email updates. 

******
Follow RecipesDream