Loading

the definitive list, 4: wahaca.



Wahaca
80 Wardour Street
London, W1F 0TF
or
66 Chandos Place
London, WC2N 4HG

I have a thing for burritos. And tacos. And any food that comes in wrapper-filling format. Can there be anything better? Probably not. Combine this with my (childhood) love of Mexican food and my general admiration for all things made British, and Wahaca becomes a necessary stop-off on my list.



A few provisos. Wahaca is a chain. A small chain, albeit, but I've listed the two locations I've eaten in above. Opened a few years back by Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers, the principle is basically Mexican market style eating - so small plates - in a casual environment. In reality, this translates to a fairly regional twist on Mexican food served up at high-pace in a busy room buzzing with some form of dance music. This is my perennial experience of Wahaca. I kind of think it's fun.



But really - this place was listed as the best Cheap Eats in the OFM Awards a while back, so I'd be surprised if any of this was news to anyone. So on to what I like about it.

Decent drinks in heavy glassware. They do a selection of drinks at the bar - where you will undoubtedly wait for your table, as they don't take bookings - including some snazzy mojitos. In truth, I'm addicted to horchata, the cinnamon-laced almond milk concoction tinged with a slight sweetness. Give me a horchata over an alcoholic drink any day.



Tostadas. I really like contrasting textures and temperatures and I especially like cold food. So their tostadas - on my last visit, blackbean, but in my favourite past rendition, with cactus - are lovely and bitesized and just a wee bit messy. I love this. These, however, are just one amongst their selection of small plates (tacos, taquitos as above, etc.) - and vegetarians are well-catered for. I've heard say that the chicken tacos and ceviche are also pretty darn good.

And lastly, churros. Churros and chocolate. Thick, dark chocolate with cinnamon-flecked doughnut. Need I say more?
Follow RecipesDream