Loading

93 Harbord

Dining Experience: Dinner
Venue: 93 Harbord
Specialty: Modern Middle Eastern cuisine
Location: 93 Harbord Street, Toronto, ON 
Menu items: Grilled Calamari in Turkish Fig Salsa and Lamb and Shiraz Fig Tagine

Today's topic? Figs at 93 Harbord. Ok, a bit of a stretch, but this was definitely my topic ingredient the night I visited this restaurant for the first time.

Figs, spices, fruits and herb-infused dishes is how to best describe 93 Harbord. The location of 93 Harbord (no pun intended) is actually quite unique. Hardly ever Torontonians think of the annex as a Foodies area (or at least I never thought of it), and especially an area that would host modern Middle Eastern cuisine. This city never ceases to amaze me.

Arriving right at dinner time on a warm Friday evening, and having had a few drinks at the bar down the street, we began our trip around the new Middle East with the Grilled Calamari in Turkish Fig Salsa.


As a kid, I used to hate figs; but as I grew older, and as my parents put it - my taste got "fancier" (hint for expensive), my love for these little earthy things grew. Figs really go with a variety of salty and sweet meals and they even compliment ingredients that have little taste to them...fish being one of them.
The Grilled Calamari at 93 Harbord was succulent and perfectly cooked, the Chefs, creating their own version of salsa, using traditional Middle Eastern ingredients and injecting it with a hint of modern with what tasted like jalapenos, olive oil, onions, lime juice and cranberries, created a killer sauce. The end result? Perfection.

Following the fig theme, the next big fig dish at 93 Harbord is the Lamb and Shiraz Fig Tagine. Before I go on my description of the plate, I would like to add that the use of any wine reduction on meat is, especially cooking it tagine-style, always a hit. With all the fruits and spices used in Middle Eastern cuisine, mixing modern cuisine with old style cuisine is a great way to transform a meal. Add to it the use of figs on this dish which compliments the flavour, then the introduction of a soft and watery veggie like bok choy (Chinese broccoli), and you got yourself a deliciously balanced meal from beginning to end. Now this deserves a Bon Appetit! (Julia Child style).

Until next time Foodies!

Buen Provecho,
Foodies Inc.
93 Harbord on Urbanspoon
Follow RecipesDream