Loading

Rhubarb Sauce Recipe

255

I am a bit new to the rhubarb thing. I hadn't even heard of this vegetable/fruit/anomaly until Kevin's family introduced me to Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. It was delicious, but I still wasn't sure what part the rhubarb played in the pie. It seemed like a strange filler to me. 

Thankfully, when we were given 15+ stalks of fresh rhubarb from a friend's garden, my husband had loads of ideas--sauce, jam, muffins, cakes. The sauce intrigued me. What would you use this sauce for? I quickly heard my answer--"It's great on top of pancakes or vanilla ice cream or yogurt or just on its own." I started researching recipes and discovered how easy this was going to be.

Sure enough, with 3 ingredients and within 10 minutes I had a beautiful, delicious sauce. This is one of the easiest recipes of all time and totally worth it! Now, to go make some vanilla ice cream!

Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
Makes 3 cups 

Ingredients
8 cups rhubarb (8 large stalks)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar 
1/2 cup water

Directions
Chop rhubarb into small (1/2 inch or less) pieces. Combine rhubarb, sugar and water in a large pot. Turn burner on high heat until water begins to boil. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until no large pieces of rhubarb remain. Taste the sauce, adding additional sugar until desired sweet to sour ratio is attained. Store in an airtight container. Serve warm or cold, on its own or as a condiment for meat, a topping for dessert, etc. 



-----
Follow RecipesDream