Loading

CrockPot Indian Chicken Recipe



Day 120.


My favorite kind of take-out is Indian. I was thrilled when I came across a recipe for an Indian Masala-inspired slow cooker recipe on Michelle's What's Cooking Blog. After reading her ingredient list, I finally got up the nerve to buy my very own spice bottle of garam masala---I had put it off long enough.


I'm so glad that I did. It was well worth the $3.99, because now that I know how flavorful and how full of depth it is, I am sure I will use it often. If you'd like to not buy a bottle, you can make your own by following this mixture (scroll down to the bottom where it lists the ground spices).


The Ingredients.


There's a lot. It'll be okay.


--frozen chicken pieces--enough to feed 4 grownups
--1 can tomatoes (drained, mine had seasoning, I don't think it matters)
--1/2 diced onion
--1/2 t ginger
--2 cloves garlic, minced
--1/2 t ground coriander
--1/4 t cayenne pepper
--1 t garam masala (1/2 t to add now, 1/2 later)
--1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt


The Directions.


--put your chicken pieces into the crockpot and add the can of tomatoes and all of the spices, minus 1/2t of the garam masala.

Don't add the yogurt yet.


cook on low all day. I cooked this for 8 hours, and the chicken shredded and lost it's shape, but tasted so good that it didn't matter. Remember that the food you cook at home in your crockpot will not look like restaurant food---but trust me that the spice combo is spot-on. Michelle did a fantastic job with this one.

30 minutes before serving, stir in the yogurt, and taste. I wanted the garam masala flavor to be pronounced, so I added another 1/2t to the mix. Add what tastes right to you.


The Verdict.


All four of us enjoyed this a lot. The kids liked the sauce a lot and dipped warmed corn tortillas into the rice and "juice" to soak up the yummy flavors.

I am interested in trying this again with pieces of lamb, and watching my chicken a little closer so it retains shape.

Very yummy. Thank you so much, Michelle!
other great Indian and Thai Recipes:
Follow RecipesDream