Loading

CrockPot Thai Curry Recipe


Day 191.

Hello! Have I mentioned yet that I'm on TV today?! Hold me.

When I filmed the segment, Rachael gave me two curry recipes. She had heard through the producers about my sad attempt at making a coconut curry recipe, so gave me two recipes that her kitchen staff perfected for the Crock-Pot--one Thai, and one Indian.

I finally (it was so hard to wait!) made the Thai version yesterday. I'm going to make the Indian version today, and will post that recipe tomorrow.


The Ingredients.

- 1 13.5-oz can coconut milk
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T soy sauce (La Choy is gluten free, and so is Tamari wheat-free)
- 1 T Thai red or green chili paste, or more to taste (I used red, and went with 1.5 T)
- 1 t fish sauce (optional. I put it in because I was thrilled to have another use for fish sauce!)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 large eggplant
- 1 sweet potato
- chicken thighs (I used 5 frozen boneless, skinless)

And! 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and grated. I bought this. I totally forgot to use it. It's probably for the best, since we aren't huge ginger people.

The Directions.

Combine the sauce ingredients: coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili paste, and fish sauce in the bottom of your crockpot stoneware. Taste. If you think you need more chili paste, add some, carefully. It's hot stuff!

Add the chicken pieces to the sauce, flipping them over a few times so they get nice and saucy.

Wash and cut the vegetables, and add to the crock.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6. This is done when the chicken is fully cooked and the vegetables have reached desired tenderness.

I cooked ours on high for 5 hours. The vegetables were soft, but not squishy, and the chicken was cooked, but still had shape.

Serve over white rice.

The Verdict.

This is good, very good! Rachael and her staff know what they are doing! The prep time was right about 20 minutes, and although it looks like a bunch of ingredients, it came together easily. If you are assembling the night before, put the chicken in the sauce to marinate, but keep the vegetables separate until the morning when you plug in the crock.

This dish is full of flavor that is so on-the-money. It was not too spicy, and the kids ate a good amount--mostly the chicken. And one of them dipped it in bbq sauce, but whatever.

I'm excited to try out the Indian, and do a side-by-side comparison!


Indian Curry
Indian Chicken
Vegetarian Curry
Thai Coconut Soup
Lamb Vindaloo
Tomato Curried Potatoes
Indian Spinach with Potatoes
Follow RecipesDream