Loading

CrockPot Crunchy Roasted Garbanzo Beans



Day 143.

I'm making my way through the garbanzo beans! Since the falafels turned out so nicely, I tried my hand at roasting garbanzo beans. I came across the idea while searching for falafel recipes, and knew that I needed to give it a try. The different accounts likened the roasted beans to corn nuts. I like corn nuts! I probably haven't had them in 20 years, but I still like them!



The Ingredients.

--2 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
--juice from one very small lemon (that lime-looking thing is actually a lemon; I've picked our tree clean)
--1 t kosher salt
-- 1/4 t cayenne pepper



The Directions.

I used a 6qt oval Smart Pot.

Drain and rinse your garbanzo beans, and dump them into the crockpot. Sqeeze on the lemon juice, and add the salt and the touch of cayenne.

Toss well to distribute the flavors.

Prop the lid open of your crock to release the condensation. I didn't feel the need to do so for the falafels, but these beans were awfully wet and slimy. I couldn't find the ONE chopstick left in the house (the kids "borrow" them for art projects. I guess they finally borrowed this one too.), so I used a wooden skewer. It worked well, and provided just a bit of a gap, which was nice.
cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the garbanzo beans have shriveled up and have a crunch.

I cooked this batch on low for 9 hours overnight.


The Verdict.


Oy. These are fun to munch on, are slightly addictive, and were super easy to make. Every once in a while I get a soggy-ish bean, but the crunch of the beans are nice. They aren't quite as hard as corn nuts, which is good for the thousands of dollars of dental work I've had done.

The kids are still sleeping, so I'll have to report back on what they think. My mommy-gut thinks they will think they look weird (I think they look like shrunken brains), but after a try will enjoy them.
Follow RecipesDream