Loading

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup CrockPot Recipe


Day 132.

Happy Mother's Day! I hope all the moms out there are fully rested and fully pampered. If you are not a mom and are looking to feed your mom easy-to-prepare food, check out the archives and the categories over in the sidebar. There are lots of goodies to choose from! psst. Go for the Rocky Road Candy.

I decided to attempt to make my own cream-of-mushroom soup. I am not against the kind from a can at all. I have cooked with canned soups for years and years and years and years.
That line makes me feel incredibly old all of a sudden.

I'm not too awful old, but I did ask for a crockpot for my 21st birthday...
There are whole books that list crockpot recipes that revolve around cream-of soups. So, I sort of felt like it was cheating if I used them. Some people choose to not use the soups due to sodium restrictions or other dietary needs.

So! If you have your own reasons for not wanting to use canned cream-of-whatever soup, you can make your own and freeze it in bags or containers to use at your convenience.

or you can curl up on the couch and read a girly magazine and sip the soup out of your favorite mug while you're waiting for your toenails to dry.
it is Mother's Day after all...


The Ingredients.

This recipe is for a LARGE crockpot. Don't attempt these proportions in anything smaller than a 5qt.



--2 lbs mushrooms
--2 cups water
--2 cans (4 cups) vegetable broth
--1 qt of milk (to add later)
--juice of 1 lemon
--1/2 t salt
--1/2 t pepper
--1 T dried minced onion
--2 T Italian seasoning


The Directions.

Wash your mushrooms well and cut them into fourths. Put into your stoneware and add the spices and lemon juice. Pour in the vegetable broth and water.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

CAREFULLY use an immersible hand blender and blend until soupy. If you don't have an immersible hand blender, very, very carefully blend in batches in a regular blender.

Stir in an entire quart of milk. I used fat free cow's milk. You can use any percentage you'd like; even cream.

let cool on the counter for quite a few hours, then pour into freezer bags to store or plastic containers. I used 2 cups per bag--which is 16 fluid ounces. A can of cream-of-soup is 10 ounces.



The Verdict.


I am excited to cook with this soup. I haven't tested it out yet. It isn't as thick as the canned soups, but is very flavorful.


and it's brown.










Cream soups are white.


Even after adding the entire quart of milk.







it's still brown.

I'm working on my hypothesis as to why this is the case.
Follow RecipesDream