Loading

CrockPot Honey Cake Recipe

Day 273.

Rosh Hashanah starts at sundown tonight. Last week, Brenda emailed me ask if I've ever made a honey cake in the crockpot. I hadn't. After I called my friend, Jennifer (yes, I realize all my friends are named Jennifer), I learned that honey cake is usually pretty dry and dense. She said "I don't like it, I won't eat it. But my dad does."

I really like Jennifer's dad, and was on a mission to make a moist honey cake---the crockpot delivers moist cakes.


Unless you burn it.

I messed this up completely. The cake was rising properly, smelled delicious, and was brown and pulling away from the sides of the crock. The top was still pretty jiggly, so I felt comfortable leaving it for 45 minutes on high while we went to swim lessons. I came home to a horrible burnt-cake smell. The top and middle was okay, but I threw the rest away.

That said! If I had taken the lid off, and watched it for about 30 minutes, I think this would have been wonderful. I'd love to hear back if anyone tries this;I was happy with the texture and flavor of the non-burnt portions.


The Ingredients.
--2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used Pamela's baking mix. I DID add the additional baking powder and soda, and would recommend doing so.)
--2 tsp baking powder
--2 tsp cinnamon
--1/2 tsp baking soda
--1/2 tsp salt

--1/2 tsp cloves
--3 eggs, room temperature
--1 cup honey
--1 cup sugar

--1 cup oil
--1/2 cup coffee
--1/4 cup water

The Directions.


I used a 4 quart round crockpot. The batter fit nicely.


Grease and flour the inside of your crockpot. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, and then add the wet.

Mix on high speed for 2 minutes.
Pour into your prepared crockpot.

Cover, but vent with a chopstick or the end of a wooden spoon.

Cook on high for 2 hours, then check. When the cake is beginning to pull away from the sides of the crock, uncover and continue to cook on high, checking every 20 minutes. The cake will be moist, but a toothpick should come out clean.


The Verdict.


Other than the horribly burnt parts, this was very tasty, and I enjoyed it a lot. Jen? Sign me up for honey cake next year for your dad. I won't burn it, I promise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was interviewed at Work It, Mom, and the interview is now live. Thank you, Nataly, for featuring A Year of CrockPotting!

Follow RecipesDream