Loading

Hello Chicago... and a fond farewell dear Oprah



Earlier this year I had an opportunity to visit Chicago for the first time in my life.  I was very excited to visit a new city, spend some time with a good friend, meet a couple of new friends, and enjoy a few days kid-free!  (Yes, I LOVE my children... and yes I also enjoy a break every now and then!)  I was also VERY excited to go here...


The Oprah Show!!!  (Now before you get too excited... I just got to SEE the show, not be on it!)

A little background...
My dear friend Sharnel, of Sharnel Dollar Design had the wonderful opportunity to create a dessert table, and plan and set up a gorgeous baby shower for the Oprah show last November when the show visited Australia (see photos of Sharnel's beautiful work for Oprah HERE).  The producers of the show were so blown away by Sharnel's work, they offered her tickets to see a taping of the Oprah show in Chicago this spring.  Sharnel was given 4 tickets and I was the lucky recipient of one of them!  Oh how lovely it is to have friends in high places!  =)  (Read more about how I met Sharnel and our first face-to-face meeting HERE)

Sharnel, myself and two more of Sharnel's friends (Michelle and Marlene) spent 5 days in Chicago shopping, dining and chatting, with the highlight of the trip being our visit to the Oprah Show.  The show topic (which is unknown the audience until you arrive at the show) was a Saturday Night Live Reunion.  Past cast members of Saturday Night Live including Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Dana Carvey and Chevy Chase reminisced about the show, and shared lots of funny clips from Saturday Night Live over the years.  
So... no giveaway  =)  But it was so special to simply see Oprah in person (across the room) and witness one of her very last shows. 


(Above) Here is our group of international friends (L to R) Sharnel (from Australia), Marlene (from New York), Me- Glory (from California), and Michelle (from Australia).  And yes... I'm sort-of a giant. 
Here, you can't tell so much when I'm by myself... (and next to a huge sign!)


The day of the show we enjoyed a special dinner at Table Fifty-Two, a restaurant owned by Oprah's former chef, Art Smith.  The restaurant was beautiful and charming, and the food was delicious!  We all enjoyed one of the restaurant's signature drinks, the Peach Palmer.

(L to R) Michelle, Sharnel, Me (Glory) and Marlene

Our visit to Chicago also included two fun meet ups with "internet friends"... the lovely Jessie of Shop Sweet Lulu and adorable Kelly of The Party Dress

The trip will always be a very special memory for me and I feel very lucky to have seen even one tiny piece of The Oprah Show.  And I feel even more blessed to have such a special friend in Sharnel, and two new friends, Michelle and Marlene. 

Follow RecipesDream