Loading

Potato Puff- Project Vintage Recipes (November recipe)

The month of October flew by, full of busy activities and I never even got around to my Vintage recipes post. :(   I think that the 95 Halloween cake pops that I made had a little something to do with it, so I am making this potato puff my October/November Vintage Recipe feature.  I found this recipe in my great grandmother's cookbook Table, Home and Health.  It reminded me of my mother's Potato Souffle that I adore, so I wanted to give it a try.  Another motivating factor was that it was something that my kids would actually enjoy eating, since they love mashed potatoes.  If you are new to my Project Vintage Recipes posts, I am trying out a recipe from my great grandmother's recipe collection each month for 2011.  Some of the recipes are her own handwritten favorites and others come from newspaper clippings and her old cookbook published in 1892. 


I hope you love this potato puff.  It is just as it sounds, light and fluffy mashed potatoes mixed with milk, eggs and butter baked to a puffed perfection.  This recipe served a family of four, so I would double it for a larger group.  A few things to make this sing would be a little diced and sauteed pancetta, onions and cheese.  I actually added a cup of Cabot's white cheddar to this recipe to jazz it up.  I thought it was simple and delicious!  Enjoy~

Potato Puff
From Table, Home and Health circa 1892


Ingredients:
2 cups cooked and mashed potatoes
3 tbsp milk
2 eggs (separated)
1 tbsp butter (melted)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese (my addition-Parmesan would be delicious, too)
*optional add-ins: crumbled bacon, onions, pancetta, fresh herbs, sour cream

Stir together potatoes, egg yolks, butter, milk in a cast iron skillet until well mixed.  Stir in cheese.  Beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into potato mixture.  Bake (in the cast iron skillet) in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.  *You can also bake this in a buttered souffle dish.  Delish!



Follow RecipesDream