Loading

3 Ingredients, 3 dishes... this is the Royal Joust!

This coming Royal Joust will be my number 9... and nine is my favourite lucky number ever! Also the predominant colours are green and orange... again, my favourites! You don't have to be Merlin to guess who is going to win this month ;D

When Susan from Sticky, Gooey, Creamy and Chewy chose the new ingredients for this month's Joust, I had absolutely no idea on how I could combine them! See what she thought of: acorn squash or local pumpkin, orange and sage. This would be my first time using sage and pumpkin.

But browsing through some food magazines and books, inspiration came! This is why I love this Event, it has me thinking all the time until I "see" the dish in my head.

I wanted to do something really special. My purpose was to perform not only one dish but three, playing with the ingredients' relevance. Since now I'm alone for lunch time, and here in Spain, lunch is an important part of the day, I cooked the dishes in small portions... just for me... tapas size :D

Let me introduce you:
Pumpkin and orange aromatized Cous cous, with pumpkin chips. Get the recipe here.

Bicoloured Puree with caramelized orange. Get the recipe here.
And Autumn Salad. Get the recipe here.
I consider self-criticism a healthy habit so here is my opinion on my dishes :D

The Cous cous turned out to be great, maybe lacked a bit of salt, but that was it. Concerning the chips, it seems that pumpkin absorbs oil a lot, so frying them wasn't a good idea (... since this was my first time using pumpkin...). Next time I will roast it. Aromatizing the cous cous with the fresh orange juice was daring but nice.

The Bicoloured puree was superb! But I would have added some Iberian acorn ham on top if I had... that would have been glorious! The sage aromatized olive oil used for the cooking of the pumpkin gave such a genial touch to the puree... really nice!!!

The Autumn Salad tasted great with the orange vinaigrette and the salty pumpkin seeds: different textures, different colours and different flavours... mmmmm.

The Royal Foodie Joust is one of the events I like the most! If you still haven't heard about it... which I doubt... please take a look at some of the former winners and their winning dishes, the Joust's knights and ladies! High level cuisine!!!

Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy with her Creamy Gorgonzola, Fennel & Pear Tart

Peter of Souvlaki for the Soul, with his Halvas

Kittie of Kittens in the Kitchen! with her dish Seafood, Sesame and Cilantro - A Trilogy!

Peter of Kalofagas with his entry of Apricot and Pistachio Cake

Valli of More Than Burnt Toast with her Citrus Spice-Rubbed Baby Backs Ribs.

Heather of Gild the Voodoolily with her Lentil Fritters with Venison Chorizo, Eggplant Sofrito and Cinnamon Aioli

Dharm from Dad~Baker & Chef with his dish: Chicken Pilaf with Pomegranate, Mint and Pistachio

Emiline of Sugar Plum with her Chocolate-Chipotle Bizcochitos

Ley from Cilantro & Lime with her entry of Mushroom Paneer.

Enjoy the recipes and hope to see you in the nest Royal Joust!!!
Follow RecipesDream