Loading

The CrockPot Diet


We're home, safe and sound. Disneyland truly is the happiest place on earth. We couldn't have had a better time, and coming home to all of your lovely comments and emails has turned me into a weepy blubbery mess.

Thank you. You are all wonderful people. And! Evidently quite opinionated about DVD players...

While vacationing, I got to thinking that if I gained 8 pounds (down 4 thanks to the extra walking at D'Land) by eating from a crockpot every day for a year, surely I could lose this newly found weight with my crockpot(s).


Right?

yes, steph. It will be easy. Just stay away from this and this and this. And by all means, this.


I folded a lot of laundry the past few days, which means I watched a lot of daytime TV (that's a natural correlation, no?). And since it's the first few weeks of the year, all daytime TV revolves around health, wellness, and weight loss. There's really no escape. I used the tools I learned to comb through the archives and came up with a bunch of recipes that seemed to fit the criteria touted on TV.

Since I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination about nutrition, use your best judgment, talk to your own doctor, and all that other stuff they tell you in fine print.

I have no idea the caloric content for any of these dishes, nor do I know the "points." But, if you do, feel free to let me know.

Soups.

Using your crockpot for soup is a no-brainer, and I have certainly made a bunch over the past year. These are all oil-free, loaded with fiber and veggies and freeze well. I like to make a big ol' crock of soup on the weekend, then eat on it for lunch during the upcoming week. There's tons of research pointing out how soup can help kick-start any low(er) calorie eating plan.

Many of these soups can be made vegetarian or vegan if you opt for veggie instead of chicken broth. I happen to always have a lot of chicken broth on hand. For an extra boost, you can make your own chicken broth.

16 Bean Soup. Lots o' fiber. You can skip the shredded cheese on top if desired. Vegetarian.
Bean Stew. Can be vegetarian (I used chicken broth). Uses split peas for extra fiber.
Black Bean Soup. You can use fat free sour cream if you'd like for the dollop on top.
Butternut Squash Soup. I am always blown away at how buttery and rich this soup is without any added oil.
Cabbage Soup. The original from the Cabbage Soup Diet, which I've never really done, but Amie has and lost 45 pounds.
Canned Soup. Don't laugh--it totally works. If you don't have time/energy to make your own soup, use your Little Dipper or a mini crockpot. Check labels carefully for hidden gluten. Opt for broth based soups with not-too-much sodium.
Corn Chowder. No cream, butter or oil!
Hot and Sour Soup. I love this soup. I mean I really, really, really love this soup.
Moroccan Lentil Soup. A very cheap, fibrous meal. I can't believe how long it took me to embrace the lentil.
Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup. Everyone who tries this soup really likes it. It tastes good and is light and healthy.
Smoky Refried Bean Soup. Vegan. Delicious.
Sweet Potato Soup. Sweet potatoes are super foods, which makes this a super soup.
Sausage and White Bean Soup. Use 2 turkey or chicken sausage.
Turkey and Wild Rice Soup. I couldn't stop eating this soup. It totally rocks.

Lean Meat.
Packed with protein, iron, and other good for you stuff.


5-Spice Steak Strips. Eat on top of salad, rice, or on their own.
Ginger Beef with Onions. mmm. ginger.
Pineapple Chicken. Tropical.
Rotisserie-style chicken. You can have lean meat to pick at for the entire week.
Lemon and Herb Chicken. Company-worthy.
Salsa Chicken
. No cream cheese, just good lots of good-for-you stuff.
Turkey Cutlets in Mango Salsa. gobble gobble.
Broccoli Beef. A healthier alternative to take-out.


Fish.
Although I have a new-found fondness for Nemo, I still like to eat fish once a week if I can. Cooking fish in the crockpot results in moist, flaky fish with no need for oil. The crockpot also ensures that your house doesn't get an icky fish smell.

Cedar-planked salmon. Fish! on wood!
Lemon and Dill Salmon. A great combo of herb and tang.
Mahi Mahi with Asparagus, Broccoli and Spinach.
Jamaican Salmon.
Sweet and Spicy Salmon.
Salmon and Green Beans. we eat a lot of salmon.

Tofu.
I was hesitant to try tofu for quite a while, but got over it when I realized it only tastes like what you put it in. Tofu is low in calories, high in protein, inexpensive, and doesn't fall apart in the crockpot. I promise.

Indian Tofu with Spinach. There are garbanzo beans, too!
Sweet and Sour Tofu. Using jarred sauce.
Honey and Orange Tofu. Somewhat similar to the sweet and sour tofu, but with a homemade sauce.
Ginger Teriyaki Tofu. I loved this, but no one else did.


Lettuce Wraps. I've made two varieties in the past year, and we liked them both.

Traditional Chicken Lettuce Wraps. Inspired by PF Changs.
Sweet and Sour Chicken with Mango Lettuce Wraps. All that is good in the world.


For additional information:
--Here's additional recipes that I labeled "light and healthy" throughout the year (scroll through, some are repeats from above listings).
--Kalyn Denny has a bunch of South Beach Diet CrockPot recipes.
--Carmen Stacier lost 80 pounds with a New Year's Resolution and blogs at The Elff Diet
--Miz Fit will help jump-start your workout routine
--Jennette Fulda lost 186 pounds through diet and exercise alone. She blogs at PastaQueen.com and has written Half-Assed, the funniest weight-loss memoir, ever.
--Melissa Henning rang in 2009 with her own 365 day challenge: to exercise every day for a year. Please visit and send support; this is such an admirable goal, and one I would like to do myself some day.


Okay! Who's in? Let me know if you try anything out. I'm going to make a big batch of Black Bean Soup this afternoon. And maybe take the shrink wrap off of the 30 Day Shred. baby steps.
Follow RecipesDream